The Present Continuous Tense. Упражнения
Exercise 1. Добавьте окончание -ing к следующим глаголам:
Work, swim, come, play, lie, tell, get, take, cut, drink, make, hit, sleep, try, look, walk, serve, eat, die, sit, cry, ski, travel, smile, begin, prepare, stop, listen, shave.
Answers: working, swimming, coming, playing, lying, telling, getting, taking, cutting, drinking, making, hitting, sleeping, trying, looking, walking, serving, eating, dying, sitting, crying, skiing, travelling, smiling, beginning, preparing, stopping, listening, shaving.
Exercise 2. Дополните предложения нужной формой глагола to be (am, is, are).
- Frank and Martin … watching a TV show now.
- Kelly … washing her dress in the bathroom.
- Our teacher … writing something on the blackboard.
- It … getting dark.
- The birds … singing sweetly in the garden.
- I … preparing for my report at the moment.
- The children … decorating the hall for the party.
- The wind … blowing now.
- People … speaking quietly in the conference-hall.
- You … waiting for the call.
Answers: 1. are; 2. is; 3. is; 4. is; 5. are; 6.am; 7. are; 8. is; 9. are; 10. are.
Exercise 3. Составьте предложения в the Present Continuous Tense.
- We/walk/on/the/ beach/now.
- They/have/a/great/time/at/the/camp/at/the/ moment.
- Tina/ and/Pam/stay/in/a/five-star/hotel.
- It/rain/outdoors/at/the/ moment.
- The/ dog/bark/at/some/strangers.
- The/girls/choose/the/ costumes/for/the/party.
- We/wait/for/the/bus/at/the/ bus-stop.
Answers: 1. I’m playing tennis with my friend now. 2. We are walking on the beach now. 3. They are having a great time at the camp at the moment. 4. Angela is painting a beautiful picture now. 5.Tina and Pam are staying in a five-star hotel. 6. It is raining outdoors at the moment. 7. Bobby is preparing for the test in his room. 8. The dog is barking at some strangers. 9. The water in the kettle is boiling. 10. Somebody is knocking at the door. 11. The children are still sleeping. 12. You are watching the sunset now. 13. The girls are choosing the costumes for the party. 14. We are waiting for the bus at the bus-stop. 15. A little girl is crying.
Exercise 4. Сделайте предложения отрицательными.
- Molly is translating an article.
- Jack and Sam are gathering pears in the garden.
- It is getting warm.
- We are climbing a mountain.
- You are playing basketball now.
- The children are washing hands in the bathroom.
- My grandfather is reading a newspaper now.
- My family is having supper now.
- Angela is ironing her dress now.
- I’m looking for my kitten now.
Answers: 1. Molly isn’t translating an article. 2.Jack and Sam aren’t gathering pears in the garden. 3.It isn’t getting warm. 4. We aren’t climbing a mountain. 5. You aren’t playing basketball now. 6. The children aren’t washing hands in the bathroom. 7. My grandfather isn’t reading a newspaper now. 8. My family isn’t having supper now. 9. Angela isn’t ironing her dress now. 10. I’m not looking for my kitten now.
Exercise 5. Составьте предложения по образцу.
Example: Tim isn’t reading now. (to sleep) +
Tim isn’t reading now. He is sleeping.
Colin and Den are playing now. (to work) — Colin and Den are playing now. They aren’t working.
- Pupils aren’t writing a dictation now. (to translate the text) +
- Margaret is washing the dishes, (to sweep the floor) —
- The days are getting shorter, (to get longer) —
- My Granny isn’t reading a magazine, (to watch TV) +
- My friend and me are sunbathing, (to swim) —
- The kitten isn’t sleeping, (to play) +
- Greg and his boss aren’t having lunch, (to read a report) +
- Cliff and Julia are preparing for the test, (to dance at the disco) —
- My father isn’t washing his car. (to dig in the garden) +
- I’m not learning a poem now. (to write an essay) +
- You are skating now. (to play snowballs) —
- I’m drinking tea now. (to drink coffee) —
- My father and me aren’t listening to music now. (to listen to news) +
Answers: 1. Pupils aren’t writing a dictation now. They are translating the text. 2. Margaret is washing the dishes. She isn’t sweeping the floor. 3. The days are getting shorter. They aren’t getting longer. 4.My Granny isn’t reading a magazine. She is watching TV. 5. My friend and me are sunbathing. We aren’t swimming. 6. The kitten isn’t sleeping. It is playing. 7. Greg and his boss aren’t having lunch. They are reading a report. 8. Cliff and Julia are preparing for the test. They aren’t dancing at the disco. 9. My father isn’t washing his car. He is digging in the garden. 10. I’m not learning a poem now. I’m writing an essay. 11.You are skating now. You aren’t playing snowballs now. 12. I’m drinking tea now. I’m not drinking coffee now. 13. My father and me aren’t listening to music now. We aren’t listening to news now.
Exercise 6. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму.
- Alice and Ron … (to sit) in a cafe now.
- It … (not to snow) outdoors now.
- We …(to wait) for our teacher in the classroom.
- I … (to watch) the children playing in the yard.
- The girls … (to argue) about what present to buy for Lewis.
- Andrew … (not to have) a rest at the moment.
- Look! All the people … (to come) into the hall.
- Unfortunately our experiment… (not to go) according to the plan.
- Pam … (to stand) too close to the road.
- The students … (not to have) a lecture now.
- Her health … (to improve) day after day.
- The rainforests … (to disappear) from our planet nowadays.
- The baby-sitter … (not to look) after the child because the child … (to sleep) now.
- Look! The guide … (topoint) at some ancient building.
- I… (not to discuss) this question now.
Answers: 1.are sitting; 2. isn’t snowing; 3. are waiting; 4.am watching; 5. are arguing; 6. isn’t having; 7. are coming; 8. isn’t going; 9. is standing;
10. aren’t having; 11. is improving; 12. are disappearing; 13. isn’t looking, is sleeping; 14. is pointing; 15. am not discussing.
Exercise 7. Сделайте предложения вопросительными.
- We are gathering apples in the garden.
- Mary is listening to music now.
- I’m sweeping the floor in the kitchen.
- The cat is running after the mouse.
- The boys are making a plane.
- The wind is getting stronger.
- You’re building a nice house.
- I’m taking a bath now.
- A woman is feeding the chickens.
- They are trying to catch a taxi.
Answers: 1. Are we gathering apples in the garden? 2. Is Mary listening to music now? 3. Are you sweeping the floor in the kitchen? 4. Is the cat running after the mouse? 5. Are the boys making a plane? 6. Is the wind getting stronger? 7. Are you building a nice house? 8. Are you taking a bath now? 9. Is a woman feeding the chickens? 10. Are they trying to catch a taxi?
Exercise 8. Дайте краткие ответы на вопросы.
- Is he peeling the potatoes? — Yes, … .
- Are they walking in the park? — No, … .
- Are you watching TV? — Yes, … .
- Is Martin washing the car? — No, … .
- Are Jane and Molly cleaning their rooms? — Yes, ….
- Is the washing-machine working? — No, … .
- Are you reading a magazine? — No, ….
- Is Victor writing a report? — Yes, … .
- Is Ann typing a document? — No, … .
- Is the sun shining? — Yes, … .
Answers: 1. Yes, he is. 2. No, they aren’t. 3. Yes, I am. 4. No, he isn’t. 5. Yes, they are. 6. No, it isn’t. 7. No, I’m not. 8. Yes, he is. 9. No, she isn’t. 10. Yes, it is.
Exercise 9. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму. Дайте краткие ответы на вопросы.
- … Anna … (to type) the documents? — No, …. She … (to speak) to her boss.
- … it … (to get cold)? — Yes, … . And the wind … (to get) stronger.
- … you … (to look) through the papers? — No, I…. I… (to write) a report for the conference now.
- … Bill and Mike … (to mend) the fence? — Yes,….
- … your parents and you … (to rest) in the country house? — No, … . We … (to spend) our weekend at the seaside.
- … Edgar … (to play) a computer game? — Yes, ….
- … the phone … (to ring)? — No, …. Somebody … (to ring) the door bell.
- … your grandparents … (to rest)? — No, …. My grandparents … (to work) in the kitchen garden.
- … the kitten … (to sleep)? — No, … . The kitten … (to hide) somewhere.
- … you … (to slice) cheese? — No, I …. I … (to mix) the vegetable salad.
Answers: 1. Is Anna typing the documents? — No, she isn’t. She is speaking to her boss. 2.Is it getting cold? — Yes, it is. And the wind is getting stronger. 3. Are you looking through the papers? — No, Гт not. I’m writing a report for the conference now. 4. Are Bill and Mike mending the fence? — Yes, they are. 5. Are your parents and you resting in the country house? — No, we aren’t. We are spending our weekend at the seaside. 6.Is Edgar playing a computer game? — Yes, he is. 7. Is the phone ringing? — No, it isn’t. Somebody is ringing the door bell. 8. Are your grandparents resting? — No, they aren’t. My grandparents are working in the kitchen garden. 9. Is the kitten sleeping? — No, it isn’t. The kitten is hiding somewhere. 10. Are you slicing cheese? — No, I’m not. I’m mixing the vegetable salad.
Exercise 10. Составьте предложения, расставив слова в верном порядке.
- carpet/the/Vicky/Is/the/vacuuming/ living-room/in?
Answers: 1. We are gathering mushrooms in the forest. 2. The boys are not riding the horses now. 3. Is your sister having breakfast now? 4. They are whitewashing the trees in the garden. 5. Are you waiting for me? 6.Roger is not having lunch now. 7. Our teacher is speaking to them now. 8. Is Vicky vacuuming the carpet in the living-room? 9. Helen is not making coffee for me. 10. My friend and me are going to the cinema. 11. The children are learning a new song for the concert. 12. His brother is not looking for work now. 13. Are you hanging the garlands in the hall? 14.My sister is dusting the furniture in the bedroom now. 15. Everybody is enjoying the party.
Exercise 11. Переведите на английский язык.
- Они сейчас украшают комнату.
- Он ждет меня?
- Мы сейчас не готовим ужин. Мы убираем кухню.
- Анна не плавает сейчас. Она играет в волейбол со своими друзьями.
- Вы слушаете меня? — Да, я слушаю вас внимательно.
- Сейчас я отдыхаю в саду.
- Мой брат ищет какую-то информацию для своего проекта.
- Они сейчас не красят крышу дома. Они ремонтируют ворота.
- ДЖейн сейчас принимает душ? — Нет, она готовит завтрак.
- Вы моете руки? — Да.
- Твои друзья готовятся к концерту? — Да, они сейчас обсуждают костюмы.
- На улице идет дождь.
Answers: 1.They are decorating the room now. 2. Is he waiting for me? 3. We aren’t cooking supper now. We are cleaning the kitchen. 4. Anna isn’t swimming now. She is playing volleyball with her friends. 5. Are you listening to me? — Yes, I am listening to you attentively. 6. I’m having rest in the garden now. 7. My brother is looking for some information for his project. 8. They aren’t painting the roof of the house now. They are repairing the gates. 9.Is Jane having a shower now? — No, she isn’t. She is cooking breakfast. 10. Are you washing your hands? — Yes, I am. 11. Are your friends preparing for the concert? — Yes, they are discussing the costumes. 12. It is raining outdoors now.
- Павличенко О.М. Английский язык. Грамматический практикум. II уровень. — 2-е изд., испр. и доп. — X.: Ранок, 2020. — 304 с.
PRESENT SIMPLE VS PRESENT CONTINUOUS EXERCISES. The train always (1: leave) on time. «What’s the matter? Why (2: cry/you)?»
Hugo Conley 3 years ago Views:
1 PRESENT SIMPLE VS PRESENT CONTINUOUS EXERCISES 1. Put the verbs into the correct tense (present simple OR present continuous): The train always (1: leave) on time. «What’s the matter? Why (2: cry/you)?» That’s strange. They (3: not to watch) TV. He (4: not to speak) very good English. Please be quiet! I (5: do) my homework. Where (6: live/they)? Listen! John music! (7: play) I never (8: go) to the swimming pool. Harold Black’s a famous pianist. He (9: give) two or three concerts every week. He (10: travel) a lot and this week he’s in New York. He (11: stay) at an expensive hotel. He’s at his hotel now. He (12: have) his breakfast in the dining room. He (13: drink) a cup of coffee and he (14: read) a newspaper. Harold’s always very busy. He (15: play) the piano regularly. He (16: practise) for four hours every day. He (17: go) to bed late and he always (18: get up) early. But he sometimes (19: get) dressed too quickly, and this morning he (20: wear) one blue sock and one red one! 2. Complete the sentences below using one of the verbs in the box in the correct form. You may use each verb once only. enjoy prefer play produce work seem know interview wait talk finish 1. I always tennis on Fridays. 2. He his report. He will bring it into the office when it is complete. 3. «My parents phoned me this morning. They themselves in
2 the Seychelles. Champagne every night! In fact, they don’t want to leave.» 4. We to entertain our guests in a local restaurant rather than the canteen. Although it is expensive, we can talk freely there. 5. I the answer to your problem. Get a new computer. 6. «Where is John?» «In his office for an important telephone call.» 7. I can’t make the meeting tomorrow. I the applicants for the sales manager’s job. 8. My brother for Shink Inc. which makes bathroom fittings. 9. Who to Bill? Is it the new secretary? 10. The new contract fine to me. However, could you just check it through once more? 3. Choose the correct form for each verb. 1. Marie- Claude isn’t a Canadian. I she comes from France. A. believe B.? am believing 2. Look! Junko into the water. A.? jumps B.? is jumping 3. I you’re crazy! A.? think B.? am thinking 4. Don’t give Jan any cheese. She it! A.? hates B.? is hating 5. I to Toronto next Thursday. Do you want to come? A.? go B.? am going 6. Once a week, I to an art class at the college. A.? go
3 B.? am going 7. I lunch in the cafeteria every day. A.? have B.? am having 8. Salman is rich he a Mercedes. A.? drives B.? is driving 9. You won’t find Jerry at home right now. He in the library. A.? studies B.? is studying 10. It quite hard perhaps we shouldn’t go out tonight. A.? snows B.? is snowing 4. Put the verb in brackets in the correct form (present simple or present continuous) Next week, my friends and I (go) camping in the woods. I (organize) the food, because I (like) cooking. Dave (have) a big car with a trailer, so he (plan) the transportation. Sam (bring) the tent he (go) camping every year, so he (have) a great tent and lots of other equipment. My wife (think) we’re crazy. She (like) holidays in comfortable hotels, so she (take) a trip to Paris instead. 5. Present Simple or Continuous? Choose the correct alternative(s) in the sentences 1-8 below. 1 Today she s spending/spends time with her grandmother. 2 They usually are going/go to the gym on Sundays. 3 We re having/have a barbecue later on. Do you want to come? 4 No, she can t answer the phone, she has/is having a shower.
4 5 I always have/am having a coffee before I m leaving/leave for work in the morning. 6 They sometimes fly/are flying to Sweden, but usually they are going/go by boat. 7 Where are you? I m sitting/sit outside in the sunshine! 8 He always brings/is bringing a monolingual dictionary to his English class.
5 KEY EXERCISE 1 1. leaves 2. are you crying 3. are not watching (= aren’t watching) 4. does not speak (= doesn’t speak) 5. Am doing 6. do they live 7. is playing 8. Go 9. gives 10. travels 11. is staying (= he’s staying) 12. is having 13. is drinking 14. is reading 15. plays 16. practises 17. doesn’t go 18. gets up 19. gets 20. is wearing EXERCISE 2 1. I always play tennis on Fridays. 2. He is finishing his report. He will bring it into the office when it is complete. 3. «My parents phoned me this morning. They are enjoying themselves in the Seychelles. Champagne every night! In fact, they don’t want to leave.» 4. We prefer to entertain our guests in a local restaurant rather than the canteen. Although it is expensive, we can talk freely there. 5. I know the answer to your problem. Get a new computer. 6. «Where is John?» «In his office waiting for an important telephone call.» 7. I can’t make the meeting tomorrow. I am interviewing the applicants for the sales manager’s job. 8. My brother works for Shink Inc. which makes bathroom fittings. 9. Who is talking to Bill? Is it the new secretary? 10. The new contract seems fine to me. However, could you just check it through once more? EXERCISE 3 1. Marie- Claude isn’t a Canadian. I she comes from France. A. believe B.? am believing 2. Look! Junko into the water. A.? jumps B. is jumping 3. I you’re crazy! A. think B.? am thinking 4. Don’t give Jan any cheese. She it!
6 A. hates B.? is hating 5. I to Toronto next Thursday. Do you want to come? A.? go B. am going 6. Once a week, I to an art class at the college. A. go B.? am going 7. I lunch in the cafeteria every day. A. have B.? am having 8. Salman is rich he a Mercedes. A. drives B.? is driving 9. You won’t find Jerry at home right now. He in the library. A.? studies B. is studying 10. It quite hard perhaps we shouldn’t go out tonight. A.? snows B. is snowing EXERCISE 4 Next week, my friends and I are going (go) camping in the woods. I am organizing (organize) the food, because I like (like) cooking. Dave has (have) a big car with a trailer, so he is planning (plan) the transportation. Sam is bringing(bring) the tent he goes (go) camping every year, so he has (have) a great tent and lots of other equipment. My wife thinks (think) we’re crazy. She likes (like) holidays in comfortable hotels, so she is taking (take) a trip to Paris instead. EXERCISE 5 1 she s spending 2 go 3 We re having 4 she s having 5 have 6 fly/go 7 I m sitting 8 brings
Chapter. The Weekend
Chapter 3 The Weekend T he weekend begins on Friday night and ends on Sunday night. Our weekend lives are usually different from our weekday lives. We may relax and have fun. We may also work at weekend
Present Simple and Present Continuous Exercises to Learn English Today
Are you trying to learn English? Are you teaching English? Learning about the tenses is going to help you or your students really get a sol >
English has twelve tenses. Yes, twelve. It’s overkill but thankfully most of the tenses aren’t popular in everyday conversation. Specifically, the top five most useful tenses are present perfect, present simple, present continuous, past simple and future simple. The other seven tenses are used here and there, but they are bulky and don’t always sound grammatically correct (even though technically they are). Those tenses include present perfect continuous, past continuous, past perfect, past perfect continuous, future continuous, future perfect and future perfect continuous. Here, we’ll go over the present simple and the present continuous.
The present simple is arguably the most popular tense in the English language. It’s used every day by everyone at some point. It’s used to describe:
the present, what is happening right now
the future – in some cases
routines and habits
facts (this does not mean it is actually true)
Here are some examples.
1. You are a boy. (present)
2. The game starts at 6 PM. (future)
3. I drive to work every day. (routine)
4. The world is round. (universal truth)
5. Dogs are better than cats. (generalization)
6. The Empire State building is located in NYC. (fact)
The present continuous is one of the five most popular tenses in the English language. It has five primary uses. To learn more grammar tips about the present continuous (and other tenses), try this introduction to English grammar course.
1. It is used to express that something is happening right now. So if you are reading this article you would use the present continuous to say I am reading this article.
2. You can also use this tense negatively to indicate that something is not occurring right now. I am not reading this article.
3. Use it to indicate something that is happening “now”, which in English, can actually mean right this second, today, in an hour in a year. It just means that we are in progress with the event. I am studying to be an accountant.
4. Sometimes people use this tense to talk about the near future. I am meeting friends for drinks after work.
5. Recurring event that is irritating. The present simple uses the adverbs of frequency to describe events that happen regularly, but the present continuous is used to describe negative emotions. Usually always and never are the adverbs of choice here. He is always running late.
I am sitting. (happening right now)
Are you coming with us tonight? (near future)
He is always complaining. (negative emotion, reoccurring event)
I am reading the book Memoirs for a Geisha. (ongoing event, in progress)
They are not teaching at the University. (not occurring right now)
She is studying to be a lawyer. (on going event, in progress)
Below are four exercises to help you practice your new English grammar skills. If this is a breeze, try checking out Advanced English grammar. It’s easy to learn as long as you have a basic understanding of the most popular tenses.
Decide whether each sentence is in present simple or not by writing Y, for yes it is present simple and N, for no it is not.
I brush my teeth in the morning.
We are starting the show tomorrow.
I always wake up before the sun comes out.
They start classes at 8 AM.
Are you reading?
He drives to work.
He is driving to work.
They are always late.
Decide which form of the verb is most appropriate for the sentence. Then determine whether it is present simple or present continuous.
I make / am making my bed every morning.
What’s that? A baby cries / is crying.
My aunt is in South America. She calls / is calling every week.
He goes / is going skiing in the Rockies every February.
My mom always cooks / is cooking.
I work / am working in the garden today.
The neighbors visit / are visiting their family right now.
Are you go / going to work today?
Steve doesn’t have / isn’t having practice this week.
Megan went to the movies. She watches / is watching a film.
Decide whether each sentence is in present continuous or not by writing Y, for yes it is present continuous and N, for no it is not.
Is he visiting his parents this weekend?
He never stops talking.
What are you doing?
She is sleeping.
Tom is loving this ice cream.
They are driving to the game.
I read every day.
The dog likes to swim in the river.
The students are not doing their homework.
I am reading the book Lolita.
Complete the sentence with either present simple or present continuous.
I’ve met Sarah. She ______________ (be) a funny girl.
I’ve met Sarah. She is a funny girl.
He ___________(hate) snow.
That brownie _______ (taste) really good.
That backpack __________(belong) to me.
Please be quiet. I ____________.(think)
Joe __________(meet) friends after work tonight.
She can’t take the call right now. She ________________(take) a shower.
_____you ____________(read) a book?
They ____________(love) traveling abroad.
I __________(have) lunch. Can I meet with you later?
Don’t throw that book away. Lori _______(need) it.
Simple Present – Present Progressive
|Simple Present||Present Progressive|
|Exceptions when adding ‘s’ :
Example: he can, she may, it must
Example: do — he do es , wash — she wash es
After a consonant, the final consonant y becomes ie. (but: not after a vowel)
Example: worry — he worr ies
|Exceptions when adding ‘ing’ :
Example: come — com ing
After a short, stressed vowel, the final consonant is doubled.
Example: sit — sitting
After a vowel, the final consonant l is doubled in British English (but not in American English).
Example: travel — trave ll ing (British English)
Example: lie — l y ing
In general or right now?
Do you want to express that something happens in general or that something is happening right now?